Spice up your menu with this hearty homemade chili. Makes 6 servings.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 can (16 oz.) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 packet (1.25 oz.) chili seasoning
- Additional toppings such as sour cream, diced avocado, jalapeño slices, shredded cheese and onions (optional)
- Combine ground beef, onion, green pepper and garlic in 2-1/2 quart microwave-safe casserole. Microwave, covered, on HIGH, 5-7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink; stir once halfway through cooking. Drain.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and seasoning. Microwave on HIGH, 10-12 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble, stirring every 3 minutes. Microwave on power Level 4, 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls to serve. Top with additional toppings, if desired.
*Using power Level 4 allows dishes such as soup and chili to simmer, blending and mellowing their flavors even further.
*Diced tomatoes are now available in a variety of flavors. Substitute with tomatoes prepared with chilies or roasted garlic and onion to add even more flavor to this dish.